Sunday, January 4, 2015

2015 Travel Goals

It is finally here! My travel blog is at last a reality. This is where I hope to keep you up to date on all my travel experiences, trip planning, and tips in addition to any deals I find and all my thoughts on travel policy issues. To start things off, here are ten travel goals I have for the new year:
  1. Visit Dubai. Because I am a city planner, I have studied Dubai throughout my entire planning education. It's history and the progression of its urban development fascinates me, and it has been at the top of my places to see list for a while now. Thanks to the Etihad Airways Mistake Fare on Christmas morning, this dream will become a reality at the end of April.
  2. Swim in Jellyfish Lake. Ever since I saw an IMAX movie on Jellyfish Lake at the Polynesian Cultural Center on a field trip when I was 8 or 9 years old, I have longed to swim in the fabled lake for myself. Because of a dear college friend living in Saipan, I will get the chance to finally make the journey to Palau for this once-in-a-lifetime experience this March.
  3. Go to the Taj Mahal. While I have never had a strong interest in visiting India, I have wanted to see the Taj Mahal for myself ever since reading about the Mughal Empire in the Royal Diaries book series in grade school. Because of the Etihad mistake fare, I will have my chance to visit in September.
  4. See the Northern Lights. I have not been fortunate enough to see the Aurora Borealis in person yet, even though I did visit Iceland last spring. I am hoping to find a way to see them some time this year.
  5. Backpack through Europe. While I don't get enough vacation time to truly do a proper backpacking trip, I would like to take a week or so this year to backpack through Croatia (Plitvice Lakes, Dubrovnik, and Zagreb at the very least), Hungary (mostly Budapest), and the Czech Republic (Prague, Cesky Krumlov, and anywhere else I have time to see). This trip will depend on how much vacation time I can save up by early fall.
  6. Go on a safari. I have to mention the fact that I got a great deal on tickets from Salt Lake City to Johannesburg, and I am trying to work out a cheap safari in Kruger National Park. It's really difficult to book an experience like this on a budget, so we will see what I end up getting. This trip is coming up in February, and I'll also stop in Cape Town with a possible side trip to Victoria Falls. I'm crossing my fingers that this one works out!
  7. Eat a deep dish pizza in Chicago. Chicago is one of the only major U.S. cities that I have not had the pleasure of exploring yet. This city is dear to me because of the Columbian Exposition, the 1893 World's Fair, which is one of the single most important events that has defined our nation's architecture. Chicago brought us the first skyscraper along with the advent of the Ferris Wheel as America's response to the Eiffel Tower. In addition to all this history, Chicago has some wonderful food that I am dying to try. I must find a way to visit!
  8. Jump off a cliff in Havasupai. Havasupai is another domestic destination that I am determined to visit this year. Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls look like heaven on earth, and this will definitely be my big outdoorsy trip of the year. Now I just need to convince some friends to drive down with me.
  9. Hike to The Wave. I will definitely attempt to hike to The Wave at the Utah-Colorado border this year. As time passes by, this destination is only growing in popularity. With only 20 permits given for this hike per day, I can only hope that I will get one when I drive down to enter the lottery some time in the next several months.
  10. Go home to Hawaii. I am originally from Hawaii, and I have never been to Kauai. I try to go home at least once a year, so I'd love the chance to visit Kauai and possibly hike the Kalalau Trail before the end of the year. I also hope to run the Honolulu Marathon in December, but we will see if I can train enough for that.
If anyone has any suggestions on places I should add to this list or things I should do in my travels this year, feel free to add them to the comments! I am so excited for all the adventures 2015 has in store. Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Impressive List. Suggestions: Zions and Arches National Parks (best in Spring or Fall). Maybe even Yellowstone (go north in Summer). They are close to you (relatively), people travel from all over the world to see them, and make fabulous weekend road trips (and can be done on a budget with a group) for the weekends you're not jet setting.

    ReplyDelete