Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I Left My Heart in South Africa


I never expected to fall in love with South Africa. Everyone told me I would love it there, but I just assumed it would be like all the other places that I have traveled to and enjoyed in the past. I never actually believed that it would win me over like it did.

South Africa has a little bit of everything: every climate, every culture, every food, every activity you could possibly imagine. The safari I went on at the Kapama Reserve just outside of Kruger National Park for three days was everything I could have imagined it to be, but it wasn't until I got to Cape Town that I truly fell for the country. Cape Town is like a mix of San Francisco and Rio de Janeiro with a touch of New Orleans, full of hipsters, cyclists, and artsy people. As a city planner, I absolutely loved all the dedicated bus and bike lanes, the pedestrian malls, the historic Victorian and Art Deco buildings everywhere, and even the touristy V&A waterfront. There was not enough time and I must go back some day!

I haven't posted in a while since I decided not to bring my laptop on my trip to South Africa. All I brought with me was a backpack and a weekender bag for the 10 days I was there. I have a lot to say about my trip, so over the next week or two I will be sharing all the grand adventures I have had with the most marvelous people in South Africa!


No comments:

Post a Comment