Monday, April 6, 2015

On Easter Abroad


Gleðilega Páska - Happy Easter! 

Isn't it funny how Easter always seems to fall on a different Sunday each year? Wikipedia tells me that Easter occurs on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (when Spring officially begins). At this time last year, I was just getting back from an epic solo trip to Chile while last Easter I was actually in Iceland. The fact that this Easter reminds me of two amazing trips I have had within the last year really makes me smile (in addition to all the other normal Easter things, of course!).

Easter Sunday last year...
...versus this time last year
 Last year, Easter fell on a Sunday toward the end of April when I had the good fortune to visit Reykjavik with my dear friend, Melissa. We didn't think much about being there on a holiday, but it ended up meaning that a lot of the stores closed early (or entirely) not just on Easter day but also throughout that weekend.
Note to Self (and everyone else): Be sure to do a Google search about the local observations of any sort of holidays or events before taking a trip anywhere. This can really throw a wrench in any travel plans you may have!
We got extremely lucky/blessed that day because we were planning on attending church, which was supposed to start around noon, so we were going to drive around to find a certain cool volcano before coming back to the city for church. However, for some reason we decided to drive to the church first to be sure we knew where it was. This ended up being a brilliant idea because we actually got lost and went to the right address in the wrong part of the city at first. We did have a GPS with the rental car, but the street names and neighborhoods were funky being in Icelandic and all. We eventually found the chapel and it turned out that because of Easter, church was moved up to 10am, so we ended up being perfectly on time!

Melissa and I in the Reykjavik
chapel on Easter Sunday, April 2014
Words cannot express how much I enjoyed being with the people of the Reykjavik Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints last Easter. The lessons and discussions had through all three hours of church were wonderful, and I met some of the most amazing people there! But the most memorable part of that Easter Sunday for me was being invited to have dinner with Elder and Sister Severe at their home near the Hallgrimskirka Church. Since basically every single restaurant would be closed that day - something that Melissa and I didn't think much about - the Severes were extremely gracious and generous in extending that dinner invitation to us. We ended up spending hours at their house with Ástaone of the branch members, after having dinner with some of the missionaries. We talked about travel and shared our life stories, but most importantly, we had a lot of discussions about Christ. I could not have imagined a more perfect way to spend an Easter Sunday. We had the best company we could have asked for, and it was easy to remember Christ that day. I will never forget the love and compassion shown to us by the Severes and the members of the Reykjavik Branch that Easter. There is no better way to remember Christ than to share His love with those around you, even if they are strangers and clueless tourists from America. I hope that one day I have the opportunity to return the favor to the Severes and to also pay it forward and share that same kindness to my fellow travelers in my home. It's the sharing economy at its best!

With some of the missionaries outside the chapel
Oskar with a Paska Egg, an Icelandic Easter tradition
Melissa and I hanging out with some of the church
members, Freddy and Oskar, after that Easter Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment